It’s wise to ask yourself “What does heaven look like?” and try to find out how you can get there. We all know life on earth is like a passing shadow. We have an expiration date and will one day die and return to the dust. The soul, however, lives on and does not die. Many religions and philosophies have tried to explain where the soul goes after one dies and what heaven looks like according to their spiritual books or references.
Despite some slight differences, one thing is common among all beliefs; a heaven is a place of eternal joy and peace. In this article, with the Bible as my reference point, I will give the answer to the most burning question; “what does heaven look like?” The truth is: most answers from various philosophers and religious leaders are speculations and hearsays. The only certain reference is the Bible!
Does the soul go to heaven after death?
I felt helpless looking at my little 1-month-old baby with an oxygen tube placed in her mouth. I imagined the pain she was going through as she lied motionless with her mouth open; struggling to breathe in. It’s as if she had already given up in life since she hadn’t opened her eyes for the past two days of her seven days admission at the hospital.
Although I yearned for her to open her eyes, I felt glad later on, since I was there to say goodbye. Holding her little fingers in my hands, she breathed her last. Pre-natal Meningitis is what took her away from us. It was painful explaining the loss to my two other children, a boy aged twelve and a girl aged five. He couldn’t hold his tears while my little 5-year girl wanted to be in the burial ceremony.
Days passed by as I mourned silently in my heart. I encouraged myself that my little baby being innocent to sin had gone to heaven. As a Christian, I felt confident that she was in a good and better place; in heaven or in paradise. A few days after her burial, I had a dream, and as I explained the dream to my wife, she too said she had had a similar dream the previous day.
What does heaven look like? The Dream
We both dreamt of a very serene room that had white-patterned tiles on the floor. The room had white walls and ceiling too, and the whiteness was nothing we had seen on earth. There was peace in the room. The peace that I had never experienced before. I didn’t see the exterior of the room but there was this conviction that it was part of a massive building.
Although I tried hard to remember if there was any furniture in the room, I couldn’t. My wife too couldn’t recall what was in the room. We only remember hearing happy voices as if other children were playing outside.
The other thing I remember is exclaiming in my head, “Wow! My dad has another beautiful house! Why has he never told us before?” In my mind, I was thinking about my earthly dad. However, spiritually, I knew it was my heavenly Dad and the rooms were part of the beautiful mansion Jesus had gone to prepare for us in John 14:1.
Does heaven look like this?
Well, since the dream occurred as I mourned the loss of my little baby, I believe it was God’s way of comforting us that she was in a better and peaceful place; in heaven.
From 2nd Corinthians chapter 5:7-8, “For our life is a matter of faith, not of sight. We are full of courage and would much prefer to leave our home in the body and be at home with the Lord.”
The Lord is in heaven with God, the Angels, the 24 Elders, the Seraphs, Cherubim, and the Four Living Creatures. Reference: Revelation chapter 4 and Isaiah chapter 6.
Since Paul preferred to leave the body (death) and be with the Lord, we have a clue that when one dies in Christ Jesus, having accepted Jesus as their personal Savior and walked in holiness, they will be with the Lord in heaven. A baby who’s still not able to discern right from wrong goes to heaven when they die. What a wonderful comfort!
What does heaven look like? The Answer
Now that we know we go to heaven when we die in holiness or during the rapture of the church, it’s time to picture what we should expect there. The book of Revelation chapter 21 speaks about the “New Heaven and the New Earth.” On this new earth will be hosted a new city called the New Jerusalem.
The city will descend from heaven. It’s this heaven that we want to know how it looks like since there’s a clear description of the New Jerusalem given in this chapter. I may not be able to completely describe heaven but will try as much as possible to paint a clear picture in your mind with the Bible as a reference.
- Heaven is a place that Jesus called His Father’s house in John 14:2. This house has many rooms meant for each believer in Christ Jesus. If you ever get to heaven, expect to find rooms and one of these rooms will be yours prepared by Christ Jesus Himself.
- Since there are rooms, there will be doors. “At this point, I had another vision and saw an open door in heaven.” Revelation 4:1a
- There is a temple with a foundation in heaven. Isaiah chapter 6, verses 1 and 4. God dwells in this temple.
- There is a throne with someone sitting on it. “His face gleamed like such precious stones as jasper and carnelian, and all around the throne, there is a rainbow the color of an emerald.” Revelation chapter 4. When John entered through the open door in heaven, what he saw is beyond human comprehension. The tremendous gleams of jasper and carnelian! The rainbow the color of an emerald!
The thrones in heaven
- Around the throne, there are twenty-four other thrones which belonged to the twenty-four elders, dressed in white and wearing crowns of gold.
- There are flashes of lightning, rumblings, and peals of thunder.
- In front of the throne, seven lighted torches are burning, which are the seven spirits of God.
- In front of the throne, there is something that looks like a sea of glass, which is clear as crystal.
- There are four living creatures covered with eyes in front and behind that surrounded the throne. One has the face of a lion; the face of a bull; a human face; and the fourth one has the face of an eagle in flight.
- Jesus is in the center of the throne and looks like a Lamb that has been slaughtered.
- The holy angels; dressed in white robes, stand all-round the throne.
- There are horses in heaven.
- Under the altar of God, there are souls of those who had been killed because of proclaiming the Word of God. They wore white robes.
- When one is in heaven, they can get a view of the earth, the moon, the stars, and the sun. Revelation 6:12, 7:1 · There is an enormous crowd of the saints of God. Revelation 6:9. Since those in heaven whore white robes, there is no dirt or sin in heaven; only purity and holiness.
This is how heaven looks like!
In heaven, there are the saints who were taken up alive to God and those who die in Christ Jesus. This will include Enoch, Elijah, and the other prophets and saints of God as seen in Luke 16:19-31 in the sermon about the rich man and Lazarus.
There will be a feast in heaven which will take place after the rapture of the church. This is where Jesus will drink from the cup of the vine again after drinking from it during the last supper. From our human understanding, a feast means foods and drinks; dining tables, and seats! Seems there will be meals in heave! As a reference, the manna from heaven which the children of Israel ate in the jungle was food from heaven. The food of angels! If you get to heaven, expect to find a large dining hall with beautifully adorned seats. One of the seats will be yours!
Where is heaven?
As I’ve answered your question on “what does heaven look like?” it’s good you know where heaven is too. Jesus Christ came from heaven and went back to heaven. He is the only One who has ever been to heaven, to earth, and back to heaven again. This means you can believe what He says about heaven. However, it’s up to you bro!. Instead of believing vain speculations supercharged with heresies, this is what the Bible has to say about where heaven is:
In comparison, “After saying this, He was taken up to heaven as they watched Him, and a cloud hid Him from their sight.” Acts 1:9
“The Lord looks down from heaven and sees the whole human race. From where he rules, He looks down on all who live on earth.” Psalms 33:13-14 From this and many other verses in the Bible, we learn that heaven is up above the clouds and literary out of our sight.
Now that I know what heaven looks like, How do I get to heaven?
You should not only ask “what does heaven look like?” Nope, you should also yearn to be there when your time on earth is over. To get to heaven, there’s Only One Way.
As a summary of “what heaven looks like”, in heaven, there’s a huge house that Jesus calls His fathers’ house. It has a temple where the throne of God is surrounded by other twenty-four thrones. Jesus sits at the center of the throne beside God. The angels and a multitude of saints surround the throne.