The urge to engage in sex before marriage sin has dramatically increased as pre-marital sex is becoming a viral issue in our modern society. The world is full of sinful temptations which make the battle against sexual sin much tougher to win. Fornication is being promoted on the TVs, social media, advert signposts, etc. and this is negatively influencing even the teens, whose minds are growing rapidly, in accepting this as the normal way of life. This has led to the fall of many unsuspecting victims, including believers.
In the Holy Bible, sex before marriage sin is any sexual intercourse outside the marriage bed! God created sex for marriage only. Thus, when it’s done outside the marriage covenant, it’s against the will of God and; thus a sin. It is sad to note that some Christians fall into this sin too. Not once, twice, but many times! This creates a habit that becomes hard to break and leads to fatal consequences of sex before marriage sin.
1 Corinthians 6:15-20
“Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not! Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For “the two”, He says, “shall become one flesh.” But he who is joined to the body is one spirit with Him. Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your won? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
There are many “sex before marriage sin” Bible verses that bring this act to light, for example, 1st Corinthians 6:15-20 and 1st Thessalonians 4:3-5, 7. Even so, many commit sex before marriage sin and say that they aren’t wrong. They even quote some Biblical verses and twist them to their fleshly desires’ purpose. This is wrong and sinful! And to be honest, you can’t commit this act outside marriage and get away with it.
Consequences of sex before marriage sin
God loves and cares for us so much that He set these moral laws to govern our lives. By obeying His laws, you will find peace, joy, and happiness.
In other words, God is serious concerning the moral laws He has set for us and any disobedience will result in fatal consequences and even death in eternal damnation. There are various laws of God to mankind as outlined in the Bible, and sex before marriage sin is a direct break of God’s law.
The following are the consequences of engaging in sex before marriage sin:
Premarital sex separates us from the love of God!
Of the biggest consequences of sex before marriage sin, separation from God takes the first position. When you commit this sin, the Holy Spirit will make an exit from your life and your fleshly desires will guide your life. This will result in a bad habit that becomes hard to stop; driving you further and further away from God. Sexual sin, as Christ termed it in the Bible, includes sexual lust in one’s heart. This is a breaking of God’s law and will lead to eternal judgment in hell.
Unplanned pregnancies in both adults and teen mothers may, later on, lead to abortions, which is also against God’s will. When Christians engage in pre-marital sex, they may sort to abortion as a way of covering up their sin, or as a way of dealing with the unexpected/untimely pregnancy. As a result of the sex before marriage sin, approximately 46 million babies have been aborted since 1973 and the current count for committed abortions in the U.S alone stands at 1.3 million.
Spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) which are deadly including the HIV virus.
The science of sex before marriage sin
According to science, more happens during sex than just a momentary experience of pleasure. When you are intimate, you release chemicals (vasopressin in males and oxytocin in females) in your brains and bind you and the other partner together. When you break the bond, bond again then break, the bond then breaks again, you damage your capacity to bond strongly to the next level.
This leads to unsatisfactory marriages. In other words, those who avoid sex before marriage sin later on experience successful and very satisfying marriage relationships.
It can lead to identity complications. If you are a woman who has multiple partners, it may be hard later on to know who the father of your baby is. This can also happen to the men who may never know they impregnated their past partners. In the U.S, 40 percent of babies are born out of marriage yearly.
How to overcome the sex before marriage sin
The Bible says that we are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus. Any form of sexual sin; adultery, fornication, homosexuality, incest, bestiality, and so on, is done when one is not walking in the will of God. In other words, you can only commit sexual sin when you are not in harmony with the Holy Spirit of God.
This is the same case with sex before marriage. No matter where you live, your age, or your background, you will be tried and tested with this sin in your life. Knowing where you stand, with God or against God, will determine your victory against this sin.
Tips to overcome the sex before marriage sin
- When you accept Christ, let your faith be deeply rooted in His Word. Study the Word of God daily since it’s your weapon against the enemy, the devil, and sinful thoughts. Many Christians begin their salvation with very steady steps and then start faltering along the way. The devil has had thousands of years to study mankind, and tens of years to study you. He knows your strengths and weaknesses and knows when to get you. When you study the Word of God, your focus will shift from earthly things, and the Holy Spirit will fill you, making you very sensitive to sin.
- A mature Christian is one who senses sin thousands of miles away. Aim for maturity in your salvation. When you’re in courtship, avoid circumstances and surroundings which may create lust in your eyes or flesh. Avoid touching as much as you can. Avoid looking at your partner with lust in your eyes as this is a sin too. Your partner may seem very mature in Biblical faith but a slight wrong lead may result in a very great fall! Remember, the devil is looking for an opportunity to stab your faith.
- Don’t be too attached to your dating partner and avoid long courtships which aren’t marriage-focused. If you are ready to marry your partner, do so as fast as you can to avoid falling into sexual lust. If money is what’s stopping you from marriage, go for a simple wedding. As long as both of you have totally abstained from sex before marriage sin, you will receive God’s blessings.
Your Church Values Matters!
- Where you fellowship greatly matters. If your pastor doesn’t stress that sexual lust is sin, and sex before marriage is sin, then you are in the wrong Church. Some pastors and reverends campaign for sex before marriage sin and being in such a gathering will not help you overcome this sin. Recognizing that sex before marriage is a sin is the first step to overcoming the sex before marriage sin.
- When you know sex is a sin, resist with your entire mind. Don’t be fifty-fifty or seventy-thirty. No! You won’t make it. “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself.” Daniel 1:8. You need to make a firm decision not to lust with your eyes or with your flesh. Force your head the other way instead of lusting with your eyes. “Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.” 1 Peter 2:11. You must make a deliberate decision to win this battle.
- Avoid sensual and sexual media from your life. This will include movies, comic books, TV shows, social media sites, and music videos. If your pastor encourages these scenes, then, you better watch out! Let the Word of God dwell richly in your heart.
To overcome the sex before marriage sin, you will need the help of the Holy Spirit. In fact, you may try to abstain from sex before marriage and fail when you’re not being led by the Holy Spirit. Remember, this is a battle in which the devil is involved. Although the devil was defeated at the cross, he’s not ready to give up on you; instead, he wants to turn God’s creatures against He who created them.
If you fell into this sin, repent and ask the Lord to heal and restore your soul. Renounce all your affiliations with those you’ve joined yourself to and ask Jesus to cleanse you and make you new with His powerful BLOOD!
Sex before marriage sin Bible verses:
Galatians 5: 19-20
· “It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you and that not of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father’s wife. And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this?” 1 Corinthians 5:1-2.
· “The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, and envy;”
· “Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust of more.”
1 Corinthians 7-9
“But if they can’t control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It is better to marry than to burn with lust.”
“Suppose a man marries a woman, but after sleeping with her, he turns against her and publicly accuses her of shameful conduct, saying, ‘When I married this woman, I discovered she was not a virgin.’ Then the woman’s father and mother must bring the proof of her virginity to the elders as they hold court at the town gate. Her father must say to them, ‘ I gave my daughter to this man to be his wife, and now he has turned against her.’ He has accused her of shameful conduct, saying, ‘I discovered that your daughter was not a virgin. But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.’
Then they must spread the bed sheet before the elders. The elders must then take the man and punish him. They must also fine him 100 pieces of silver, which he must pay to the woman’s father because he publicly accused a virgin of Israel of shameful conduct. The woman will then remain the man’s wife, and he may never divorce her.
But suppose the man’s accusations are true, and he can show that she was not a virgin. The woman must be taken to the door of her father’s home and there the men of the town must stone her to death, for she has committed a disgraceful crime in Israel by being promiscuous while living in her parent’s home.”