How to design contemporary 3 Bedroom house plans
The 3 bedroom house plans are Architectural blueprints that are useful in the construction of 3 bedroom houses. These are contemporary houses designed with three bedrooms; having one or all of them fully en-suite. The designs normally include a spacious lounge, dining area, a kitchen, and a common/guest toilet. Some 3 bedroom house plans may include a study area, a kitchen store, and a front sit-out/ porch. A rear porch also serves as the kitchen veranda or a laundry area.
There is and always will be demand for 3 bedroom houses despite the rising house prices. This is because most homeowners prefer to go for the 3 bedroom house plans since they match most of their requirements.
Click this link to Visit Our Architectural Design-Plans Shop.
Modern 3 bedroom house plans Vs contemporary designs
Modern house plans are architectural designs that came into play during a specific period, preferably between 1932 and 2010. Contemporary house plans, however, are the most recent architectural designs or buildings of the present day or as from the 21st century. Contemporary 3-bedroom house plans mean the “designs of today”. Its origination period can’t be pinpointed exactly because styles and fashions and trends change so quickly.
This article covers how you can design contemporary 3-bedroom house plans by outlining their unique features so as to help you as a client or a designer.
Before we dive into the features of the contemporary 3 bedroom house plans, let’s find out why they are so popular and why there’s always a market for these types of houses.
Reasons 3 bedroom house plans are popular
- They are cheaper to construct and maintain compared to any other type of house suitable for a single-family dwelling.
- They can be extended, developed, or renovated in the future and thus add property value.
- The roof can be developed into an extra room and thus convert into a 4 or 5-bedroom house plan.
- Unlike the 2 bedroom house plans, the 3-bedroom house plans have a space for a guest room.
- They appeal to couples working from home and needing an office or storage space.
- They are very cost-friendly and effective compared to 4-bedroom house plans which are expensive to construct.
- The 2 bedroom house plans are cheaper to construct but have few bedrooms.
Features of 3 bedroom house plans with their standard sizes
Sit out veranda area:
The covered entrance is a common feature of the 3 bedroom house plans. This should be located at the entrance of the house and the standard dimensions should be 4x2m. Most contemporary designs may comprise a pergola entrance porch.
The standard lounge area should be around 4x5m and the dining 3×3.2m. The lounge should be spacious enough to accommodate say like two sets of couches and the TV stand, while the dining to adequately take in a 4-6 sitter dining set.
In ensuring the design utilizes space, contemporary 3 bedroom house plans may have a combined lounge and dining, separated by a fully arched opening. Most architects may design either the lounge or dining as stepped down from the ground level, with full-height windows to increase light and ventilation.
Master bedroom en-suite of 3 Bedroom House Plans
The master bedroom standard sizes are 4x3m, 4×3.5m, or 4x4m excluding the walk-in closet and the washroom. The room should be spacious enough to accommodate the king and queen’s bed with two-night tables. The master bedrooms of a contemporary 3 bedroom house plans are very spacious enough, 4x4m or 4×4.5m, to accommodate a three-sitter couch and also include a master sit-out area.
The washroom’s standard area is around 2×2.5m or 2x3m and should adequately accommodate the English-type toilet, the shower tray, the wash hand basin, and the bathtub.
The walk-in closet is to be around 2×2.5m but some designs may only include a simple wardrobe.
2 bedrooms which can be en-suite:
The two bedrooms may be en-suite, that is, each with a combined toilet/washroom or they may both share a common washroom/toilet. The standard size of the two-bedroom should be around 3×3.5m including the wardrobe area.
Spacious kitchen/combined with dining/store:
Recent 3 bedroom house plans are designed with an open kitchen adjoining the dining area. The kitchen standard dimensions are 3×3.5m but spacious kitchens may be 4×3.5m or even 4.5x3m. The store, normally accessed from within the kitchen, maybe around 2×2.5m. When designing the kitchen, considerations should be considered for the rear door, the store door, and the traffic area.
Rear kitchen veranda/Laundry area of 3 bedroom house plans:
The kitchen veranda/sit-out area should extend the full width or length of the kitchen area, depending on which side the position of its longest side. The laundry area can be positioned right after the kitchen rear door where one can access the veranda.
How to design contemporary 3 bedroom house plans
To design contemporary 3 bedroom house plans, you will need to conform to the principles beyond modern architecture. Contemporary plans are the most recent architectural designs while modern designs are slightly outdated.
Below are the contemporary features of the 3 bedroom house plans you should consider in your designs or house plans:
- Aim for a minimalistic 3-bedroom house plan. This characteristic aims at ensuring that the design utilizes the space and that nothing is added that won’t directly be useful. For instance, when adding partition walls in your designs, avoid any walls that will only create barriers, increase dead loads, and also minimize the space.
- Recent designs utilize the industrial materials available such as steel, concrete, and architectural glass. This enhances the aesthetic features of the 3 bedroom house plans.
- When designing modern 3 bedroom house plans, avoid all decoration as a matter of principle. According to Austrian Architect Adolf Loos in an essay entitled Ornament and Crime, decoration changes with time, therefore, designs will quickly lose their value with time. Since the 2nd half of the 20th century, architects began to strictly follow this design principle of modern plans. Thus, contemporary designs aren’t designed to lose value with time due to new aesthetic features in the market.
Other features of contemporary 3 bedroom house plans
- Modern 3 bedroom house plans reject ornaments and color unless the color has some purpose. Since white is reflective, it is mostly used in the interior and to an extent on the exterior surfaces.
- In being true to the materials used, the true nature of the materials used should not be hidden. Modern house plans reveal the materials used such that concrete or steel used are left bare. This exposure leads to brutalism, whereby the exposed concrete surfaces and steel end up looking like a prison or fortress; another feature of a contemporary architecture.
- Contemporary 3-bedroom house plans use repetitions such as the same windows to enhance unity and aesthetics.
- Avoid using complex shapes rather use rectangular shapes.
- Use visually weightless materials such the architectural glass (increases transparency), pergola sit-outs, or steel roof structures.
- Using reinforced columns minimizes load-bearing walls thus increasing the open concept; of spacious large rooms.
Contemporary 3 bedroom house plans Conclusion:
The 3 bedroom house plans are still the most preferred designs and will always remain so. However, it is important to utilize the contemporary features outlined in this article to ensure you get the most out of your designs either as a client or as an architect.